Irene & Mei Li, sibling co-founders of the Mei Mei empire in Boston, Massachusetts (USA), discuss the trials and tribulations of turning a foodservice dream into a brick and mortar reality. They’ve expanded from a food truck popular with residents and visitors alike to add a full-service restaurant., as well as bottled sauces They share what it’s like to work with family, and talk about what they did to help make their small business a true success, including inspiration from our Episode 1 speaker Air Weinzweig below. An inspirational cookbook is in the works. Hear what Irene and Mei Li have to say and then you’ll want to book your trip to Boston for the scallion pancake sandwiches!
In this episode you’ll learn:
- How 3 siblings were able to balance work and personalities in a family-owned business
- How 3 siblings started a food truck with a lot of passion about and interest in food, but no foodservice experience
- Why introducing an open books policy with company employees contributed to greater employee commitment to the business
- How you don’t need to be a professional writer to write a cookbook
- The importance of visioning